Thursday 22 August 2013

diy: anthropologie-inspired cups


Now I've had the idea for these glasses, as well as all the materials for them, for an embarrassingly long time.  As in, months and months.  I have no clue what took me so long to get my act together, but I'm so glad I FINALLY did.  These babies are so easy, and I love how they turned out!

I'm totally in love with basically everything from Anthropolgie....especially their kitchen stuff.  The only thing that keeps me from going on a crazy shopping spree every time I enter their store is the prices.
Yeahh....their prices are not always pretty, as was the case with these cups.  I saw a couple of other diys kicking around pinterest, and decided that I would give it a go as well!


All you need are cups and paint!  I used paint that was specifically made for glass, as I've heard from several different people that this works better than using any old paint with a sealant, and it worked like a dream!

Materials:
-glass cups
-glass paint

Directions: 
First I cleaned my cups with rubbing alcohol to ensure I had a good surface for the paint to grab onto.
I used Martha Stewart glass paints, and the applicator made it so easy to just go crazy on the cups. (You can always pour a bit of the paint out, and use a brush instead if you'd rather a slightly more "messy" look).
I painted one colour at a time, and let it completely dry before doing a second, and third coat.  Each time layering the dots over each other!
Then, you can either let your cups "air cure" for 21 days, or follow the instructions on the paint bottles to bake them in the oven!

Update: While the Martha Stewart paint says that it's dishwasher safe, I would stick with handwashing them!






There you have it!  Super cute cups that you can make without breaking the bank.  
I have dubbed these my party cups, and can't wait to break them out during my next get-together!

p.s.   kelsey


6 comments:

  1. Love this project! I think I will give it a try...but I may have to use them every day because they are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popped over from Knock off Decor. Really cute blog, I love the way you guys narrated your "about" page. I've seen this pinned on Pinterest before but never gave it a try. I was worried that the paint would wash off in the dishwasher. Have you placed them in the dishwasher yet? How are they holding up to normal dishwashing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww...thank you! I would definitely stick with handwashing!

      Delete
  3. I am also curious if they are dishwasher safe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the martha stewart paint says that they should be...but I would stick with handwashing them!

      Delete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...